Photo frame, or world interface. Caught this article about a Digital picture frame doubles as a secondary display and got to thinking about an old project.
What I want is a useful device on my fridge to replace my calendar on the wall, see just about every sci-fi movie made in the last five years. But how?
How about a slave interface:
- Digital picture frame at around 800×600
- Shows photos when not “in use”
- WiFi (ok, USB for now) connection to the home computer
- Voice commands — think Star Trek — “Computer, show calendar”
- That’s it, if it was really good you could say: “Computer, show grocery list, add milk”
- When not in use show the slide show — maybe “improved” with the digital postcards…
Things that I continue to think about is how we interact with computers ala:
- Home Note — Worth reading the papers to see what really happens…
- Digital Postcards — think about what it would mean if there was a twitter-ish service that combined a fixed display in your home (office, etc) with the output of a cellphone camera from your friends.. Take it one step further, Make those annoying facebook messages “real” by broadcasting them to passive viewers. [Ok, maybe you don’t want to tell your parents you woke up with somebody…]
Gosh, the whole Microsoft Socio-Digital Systems ****group looks fun….